The internet is teeming with “best engineering website” articles that often lead to spammy, cluttered sites lacking search optimization. However, as specialists in marketing within the AEC industry (which includes engineering), I delved deep into research to provide you with a curated list of the top five engineering websites. In addition to highlighting why these websites are exceptional, I will also explain how you can replicate their success.
In this article we will cover:
- The elements of beautiful, user-friendly website design
- Making a website search engine friendly
- The 9 best engineering firm sites based on these two criteria
- Engineering website design agencies
Best Engineering Website Design
High-quality engineering websites, and any website in general, share a few common characteristics. These are the aspects we considered when evaluating our top selections for the best engineering websites. If you’re planning to create a new website for your brand, these are the elements you should prioritize.
- Simplicity: A trend in UX and UI design is to prioritize simplicity, focusing on clean layouts, minimalistic elements, and intuitive user experiences that eliminate unnecessary clutter and distractions. In short – whitespace.
- Bold typography: Designers are using bold and attention-grabbing typography to create visual impact and communicate messages with emphasis. This trend often involves experimenting with unique fonts and creative typography combinations.
- Bolder and more characteristic fonts: In addition to bold typography, there is a growing trend towards using more distinctive and unique fonts that add personality and enhance brand identity. Designers are exploring various typefaces and custom fonts to create memorable and engaging experiences.
- Motion design: Motion design involves bringing elements to life through subtle animations and transitions, adding dynamism and interactivity to the user experience. This trend helps capture user attention and creates engaging visual narratives.
- Animations: Animations are being used extensively to enhance user experiences by providing fluid and delightful interactions. From micro-interactions to complex transitions, animations bring interfaces to life, making them more engaging and enjoyable to navigate.
- Custom cursor interactions: Designers are exploring custom cursor interactions to enhance user engagement and create immersive experiences. This trend involves using custom-designed cursors that respond or interact with elements on the screen, providing a unique and interactive browsing experience.
- Data storytelling: Data storytelling is the art of presenting complex data in a visually compelling and easy-to-understand manner. UX and UI designers are incorporating data visualization techniques to help users interpret and engage with data-driven content effectively.
- Scrollytelling: Scrollytelling refers to using scrolling as a narrative device, where content unfolds and reveals itself as the user scrolls down the page. This technique combines storytelling elements with interactive scrolling to create immersive and captivating experiences.
- Interactive, nutty navigation: Designers are moving away from traditional navigation menus and exploring more interactive and unconventional navigation patterns. This trend involves using unique and playful navigation elements to make browsing more engaging and memorable.
The engineering industry has been historically associated with less-than-optimal design and branding practices. Many engineering websites are often characterized by cluttered layouts and a lack of attention to marketing and design strategies.
The list above is pretty comprehensive, but you’ll find that our selections for the top engineering websites that have successfully implemented a few of these elements to differentiate themselves from the competition.
Search Engine Friendly Website Design
In addition to a visually appealing and user-friendly website, we specifically considered engineering sites that had made significant investments in search engine optimization (SEO). This aspect is often overlooked in the engineering field, as many firms primarily rely on word-of-mouth referrals for business.
However, SEO presents a valuable opportunity for engineering firms to attract potential clients and employees. Due to the limited investment in SEO by many engineering firms, there is often low competition for relevant search terms. For instance, we were able to assist a civil engineering firm in ranking for the search term “best civil engineering firms to work for,” which greatly helped their recruitment efforts.
To assess SEO efforts of engineering websites, we looked at indicators like their domain authority score, site errors, ranking keywords and more.
Best Engineering Firm Websites
Now, it’s time to reveal what you’ve been waiting for. We extensively searched the web for engineering firms with websites that excelled in either design, search engine optimization, or both. Here, we present the top engineering firm websites and the reasons behind their selection.
Best Engineering Firm Websites at a Glance:
#1 – Roaring Fork Engineering
Roaring Fork Engineering stands out on our list as a perfect example of the ideal combination of website design and search engine optimization.
In terms of design, the site excels with its clean and elegant layout, making excellent use of white space and featuring bold, prominent headings. Subtle animations and motion designs are incorporated throughout the site, adding a playful touch as you scroll.
When it comes to search engine optimization, this website sets itself apart from other engineering sites by taking it seriously. It includes a civil firm directory, land survey directory, engineering news section, and a civil job portal, all working together to improve their rankings for relevant terms like “best civil engineering firms to work for” and “top cities for civil engineers to live”. These efforts help this boutique mountain firm attract talent to the Aspen, Colorado area. In fact the SEO strategy behind this site led to a 1,854% increase in visits to their careers page.
#2 – Strata Worldwide
Strata Worldwide’s website excels in design elements, showcasing a forward-thinking approach to website design and user experience. The simplicity of their site stands out, with a limited number of pages and concise, straightforward content.
They employ bold typography for headings, complemented by small yet readable typography for body copy. Additionally, they incorporate subtle interactive animations that activate as you scroll, enhancing the overall experience.
Strata’s minimalist navigation further enhances their impactful presentation. In summary, Strata’s website delivers a powerful impression by conveying more through visual displays, leaving visitors thoroughly impressed.
#3 – P2S Inc
P2S Inc has earned a well-deserved spot on our list of the top engineering websites, thanks to their approach in incorporating animation, scrollytelling, and custom cursor interactions. When you visit their homepage, the experience begins with an impressive preloader animation that sets the stage for what’s to come.
As you delve into the site, you’ll be captivated by the seamless integration of dynamic elements that not only change but also respond to your scrolling and hovering actions. This level of interactivity not only enhances user engagement but also showcases P2S Inc’s commitment to pushing boundaries and delivering an immersive browsing experience. With their innovative use of animation, scrollytelling, and custom cursor interactions, P2S Inc sets a new standard in website design within the engineering industry.
#4 – Osborn
We included Osborn on our list of the top engineering sites because of its combination of simple yet impactful design. The layout, navigation, and content of the site are clean and straight to the point, making it easy for users to find what they need without any unnecessary complications.
They use hover animations which are simple and enhance the user experience. It’s a great way to engage visitors without overwhelming them.
The homepage of Osborn’s website deserves special mention. It’s incredibly user-friendly and focuses on just a few key items, ensuring that users aren’t distracted or overwhelmed by too much information.
#5 – PBS Engineers, Inc.
Last but certainly not least, we have PBS Engineers, Inc. on our list of the best engineering websites. What sets this website apart is its ability to showcase a substantial amount of content without overwhelming visitors. The site’s navigation is intuitive, making it effortless for users to find what they’re looking for.
One notable aspect of PBS Engineers, Inc.’s design is their bold and solid color choices. Many engineering firms tend to shy away from using vibrant colors, opting for busy photos and color overlays that can clutter the site. However, PBS Engineers, Inc. embraces simplicity by incorporating bold colors that add a touch of flair without sacrificing clarity and simple loading animations to enhance the user experience.
Engineering Website Design
If you’re in search of a digital marketing agency that can create a new engineering website combining eye-catching, innovative design with effective search engine optimization, Nover Marketing is the perfect choice. As experts in the AEC industry, we offer comprehensive services and develop visually appealing and functional websites to enhance your online presence. Reach out to us today to schedule a complimentary 30-minute consultation.